Tips and Tricks
- You need to demonstrate that you are not receiving enough care for your needs. If you have a Home Care Package are you using all the funds? Does your Care Plan record any equipment you need that you might be saving for?
- Are you happy to receive ‘top up’ services through Community Care? That means paying a small amount to receive some extra help through the Commonwealth Home Support Program. This shows that you need help
- If you can afford it, are you prepared to pay privately for extra support while you’re waiting for a higher level of subsidies from the government.
Where do you start?
There’s two ways to request a higher priority in the allocation of a Home Care Package or to receive a higher level Home Care Package.
- If you have an existing Home Care Package – request your Care Coordinator to speak to My Aged Care on your behalf. Your Care Coordinator should be advocating on your behalf to get you the care you need to stay safely at home. If you’re not getting the service and attention you need from your Care Coordinator consider an alternative provider. We can help you with this by simply giving us a call on 1300 576 386.
- If you are waiting on a Home Care Package – contact your original assessor, if you’ve lost their number call My Aged Care directly on 1800 200 422 to arrange another assessment. But make sure you’re prepared for this call! Make a note of what’s changed since your last assessment and what services you think you need and when. Speak plainly and honestly about your situation. If you need support to do this, engage a trusted friend or relative to speak on your behalf.
The biggest point to remember is that if your situation means you need more care then you can ask for it. A good Home Care provider will help you access the care and services you need. And always remember the power rests with you, if you’re not happy with your Home Care provider you can change. Just give us a call and we will guide you through it to get you the care and service you deserve.