Generous government subsidies exist to help keep you in your home. There are two main types of support to remain at home:

  • The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or what people sometimes refer to as Council services, and
  • Home Care Packages.

So, what’s the difference?

When accessing aged care subsidies, you need to make sure you’re getting the right support for your needs.

The two programs offer very different levels of support.

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme offers entry-level support and is a lesser amount than the Home Care Packages.

The Home Care Packages offers ongoing comprehensive support of up to 51k of subsidies each year.

To access either program you will need to go through the government gateway My Aged Care.

What’s right for you?

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) provides a little help for you to remain at home.

  • Choose from a fixed menu of limited services with limited flexibility
  • Use the Programme when you need it – you can dip in and out.
  • Low hourly rate
  • Assessed by Regional Assessment Service (RAS)

Home Care Packages provide comprehensive support for you to remain at home.

  • It’s flexible and you can choose what your funds are spent on
  • You choose how you want to spend your funds and which care provider delivers your care. If you’re unhappy with your care provider you can change providers!
  • Your Package subsidy continues for as long as you need it – the subsidy can increase as your needs change.
  • Assessed by the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)

Home Care Packages come in four levels. These four levels relate to the amount of support you need to stay at home.

CareAbout can help you find the right provider for your Home Care Package.