Our Privacy Commitment
CareAbout Holdings Pty Ltd ABN 41 612 411 720 (CareAbout, we, us, our) is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. This policy explains how CareAbout manages the personal information that we collect, use and disclose and how to contact us if you have any further queries about our management of your personal information. This policy does not cover personal information about its employees, collected or held by CareAbout. Employees can contact their manager or HR representative for information about our employee information handling practices.
How does CareAbout collect, hold and use your personal information?
CareAbout may collect information about you in a variety of ways. Generally speaking, CareAbout will collect personal information directly from you (or from your authorised representative) where practicable. For example, when:
- you enquire about or seek a quotation for a product or service offered by our participating providers
- you apply for or purchase a product offered by our participating providers
- you contact us by telephone, via mail, email or online
- you visit our website and provide your contact details)
- we supply any other products or services to you
- you enter into any trade promotions, competitions, specials or other offers with CareAbout or our direct partners.
We may also collect, use and disclose personal information about customers or potential customers from third party sources or a publicly available source, or from marketing and similar lists legally acquired by us.
If you wish to provide us with personal information about another person (such as a family member), you must first obtain their permission and please make sure that you tell them about the content of this policy.
What kinds of personal information does CareAbout collect and hold?
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold about you will depend on the circumstances of collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, participating provider, contractor, stakeholder, job applicant or in some other capacity.
For example, if you request a quote for a product or service offered by our participating providers, we may collect your name, address, email address, telephone number, date of birth and any other information required to provide you with the quote.
Any personal information that you provide via our website or contact centre (for example, for comparison purposes, to obtain a quote or to purchase products) is collected and stored by CareAbout for the purposes described below.
To provide some of our services, we may need to collect and hold your sensitive information (such as medical or certain lifestyle information). We will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent or where we are otherwise authorised by law to do so.
We may record calls that you make to us in certain circumstances, including for training purposes and for the purposes described below.
If we are not able to collect your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our products or services or do business with you or the organisation with which you are connected.
How does CareAbout use your personal information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a variety of reasons related to the operation and promotion of our, and our participating providers’, business, including to:
- provide services and products to our customers;
- correspond with our customers and deal with their enquiries and complaints;
- recommend appropriate providers to our customers;
- maintain and improve our customer service;
- protect our lawful interests and meet our regulatory and legal obligations;
- verify our customers’ identity and personal information;
- consider job applicants for current and future employment;
- manage our relationships with our participating providers, suppliers and stakeholders;
- respond to lawful requests from courts, law enforcement officers and government agencies;
- carry out internal functions including training; and
- conduct marketing research and analysis.
We may also use personal information on an ongoing basis to contact you from time to time about products and services that we think may be of interest to you, unless you opt out or we are otherwise prevented by law. Please refer to the direct marketing section below.
We may also use your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law, including purposes for which you have provided your consent. Your consent may be written, verbal or implied from your conduct.
Disclosing your personal information
We may exchange your information with:
- our participating providers to allow the assessment and provision of our customers’ required products and services;
- professional advisers (such as lawyers or auditors);
- our contracted service providers, including:
- information technology service providers;
- data processors and data analysists;
- payment systems operators and financial institutions; and
- organisations authorised by CareAbout to conduct promotional, research or marketing activities;
- law enforcement agencies or government authorities;
- any persons acting on your behalf including those persons nominated by you, executors, trustees and legal representatives; and
- other third parties where we have your consent.
These third parties may be located in Australia or overseas. If we disclose personal information to an overseas recipient, we will take steps to ensure they comply with this policy, applicable privacy laws and our reasonable directions.
Before providing, or authorising CareAbout to provide, your personal information to any of our participating providers, you should consider the relevant providers’ privacy policies.
How do we hold and protect personal information?
We hold personal information electronically and in hardcopy form, both at our own premises and with the assistance of our service providers. We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We implement a range of measures to protect the security of personal information, including – depending on the circumstances – electronic access controls, premises security and network firewalls.
If you are a customer or a potential customer, we may contact you on an ongoing basis about products and services offered by CareAbout and our business partners, which we think may be of interest to you unless you opt out or we are otherwise prevented by law. When we contact you it may be by mail, telephone, email, SMS or social media. You can opt-out of receiving direct marketing at any time (see below).
How can you opt out of receiving direct marketing?
You can let us know at any time if you do not want the personal information we hold about you to be used or disclosed for direct marketing purposes, or if you only wish to be contacted via a particular channel (e.g. by email). In some circumstances we may need to contact you to verify your identity or to clarify your request.
If you wish to unsubscribe from future marketing and promotional material, please click on the “unsubscribe” link in the email, call us using the details provided below or email “Unsubscribe” to [email protected].
Data quality and security
It is important that the information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Please update your details online where possible or contact our Privacy Officer if you believe that your personal information is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date, or may otherwise be misleading.
Our website is professionally hosted and steps are taken to ensure it operates in a secure environment. You should however be aware that there is always an inherent risk in transmitting your personal information via the Internet.
Cookies are pieces of information that a website transfers to your computer for record-keeping purposes. The information collected may be used by CareAbout to improve and customize your experience on our website. In addition, we collect aggregated non-personally identifiable data from our website to help us maintain and improve delivery of the CareAbout online service and marketing. This aggregated information assists CareAbout to improve content and website navigation.
When you visit any of our online resources, our system may collect information about your visit for statistical purposes, including:
- server address;
- top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.);
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages you accessed and documents downloaded during your visit;
- the previous site you visited;
- if you’ve visited our site before; and
- the type of browser used.
We record this data to maintain our server and improve our services. There are several methods and packages that we use to collect visitor behaviours on each of our online platforms. Like a number of commercial web site operators, CareAbout uses tools to measure and analyse internet usage across our web site. This enables CareAbout to track the number of unique browsers to our web site.
Links to third party sites
Whilst links to third party websites are provided on our website, we are not responsible for the content or practices of these third party websites.
These links are provided for your convenience and do not represent our endorsement of any linked third party website. We recommend that you check the privacy policies of these third parties prior to providing them with any personal information.
How you can access or correct your personal information
You can request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer using the details provided below and we will generally provide you with access, subject to some exceptions permitted by law.
If we deny or restrict access to the information you have requested, we will give you written reasons for this decision when we respond to your request. We may charge a reasonable fee to cover our costs of providing access to you and will advise you of any fee payable before we provide you with access.
How you can make a privacy complaint
Please contact our Privacy Officer using the details provided below if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will investigate your complaint and will endeavour to respond to you in writing within 30 days.
If you consider your privacy concerns have not been resolved satisfactorily by us, or you wish to obtain more information on privacy requirements, you can contact the Australian Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or visit their website at www.oaic.gov.au.
How to contact us
Please contact us at the following email if you have any concerns about privacy, including if you:
- have queries, concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by CareAbout
- would like to request access to or correction of the personal information we hold about you.
CareAbout Holdings Pty Ltd
Suite 120, 3 Male St
Brighton VIC, 3186, Australia
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1300 721 855
Updated 31 January 2017