It’s good to know there’s help for you or a loved one as you get older. The government subsidises aged care services in two main areas: care for you at home, known as Home Care and care for you in a nursing home, which are now called Aged Care Facilities. Access to government-subsidised care goes through a central body called My Aged Care.

What are support services in Aged Care?

Support services in Aged Care are any services that you require to remain living in your own home. This could be transport to and from appointments, someone to be with you at your home while a carer has a break or nursing services. There are a range of support services for you at home and with Consumer Directed Care you can choose what services you need and who delivers them.

Who is eligible for My Aged Care?

Anyone over the age of 65 years and who has a Medicare Card can apply for services through the government body My Aged Care.

In some cases, people under the age of 65 can apply for Aged Care services.

How do I contact Aged Care?

You can contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422. They are open from 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 10am-2pm on Saturdays.

What can a Home Care Package pay for?

A Home Care Package is an amount of funds you can use to spend on any care and services you need. There are limitations on what the Home Care Package can pay for but a good test is to ask yourself the question is this something that will help me remain living at home? And are there any other government subsidies I’m using for this service?

One of the most common services people ask us whether they can pay for out of their Home Care Package is ready-made meals. You can pay up to 70% of the cost of the meal out of your Home Care Package and then you need to pay the remainder yourself.

If you’re confused about what you can get out of your Home Care Package give CareAbout a call and we can talk you through it.