Navigating My Aged Care – the registration and assessment process made simple.

Are you looking for Aged Care services in Australia? If so, it’s probably likely you’ve heard of My Aged Care. Before you get started with any Aged Care services in Australia, you will need to register with the government organisation, My Aged Care.

The system can be a little difficult to navigate, so we’ve put together a simple guide to introduce you to My Aged Care and their registration and assessment process.

Register with My Aged Care

What to expect during your Assessment

What is My Aged Care?

My Aged Care is the main entry point into the Aged Care system in Australia. It is a government organisation responsible for registrations and assessments relating to Aged Care services. Through My Aged Care, older Australians can register, create an account, and organise to be assessed to determine their Aged Care subsidy eligibility and needs. Government subsidies are available for Residential Aged Care Homes and Home Care Packages.

If applying for a Home Care Package, the following support is available:

Amount of funding for Home Care Package levels

How do I contact My Aged Care?

You can get in touch with My Aged Care through their website here or by calling them on 1800 200 422.

Who is eligible for My Aged Care?

If you are 65+ (or 50+ for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), you may be eligible for government-funded Aged Care services.

Anyone who meets the above criteria is eligible to register and to be assessed through My Aged Care, but this does not necessarily mean that you will be approved for government funding.

How do I get a referral to My Aged Care?

You do not need a referral to My Aged Care, you can simply register yourself with My Aged Care via their website or by calling 1800 200 422.

My Aged Care Registration

Before you can access any government-funded Aged Care services, you must be registered with My Aged Care. To register, you need to call My Aged Care and answer a range of questions to help them determine your individual needs and current situation.

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to register with My Aged Care.

My Aged Care assessment

After you register with My Aged Care, you may be referred for an assessment.  My Aged Care will organise the assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) staff member. The ACAT member will travel to your home to assess you, running through a number of questions to determine the amount of support you might need.

*Please note that during COVID-19, ACAT Assessments are likely to occur via phone or telehealth conference.

Here’s everything you need to prepare for your ACAT assessment.

My Aged Care portal

If you have a MyGov account, you can sign into the My Aged Care portal using your MyGov login details. This portal will allow you to see your client record, view and update your personal information, and see your interactions with My Aged Care including your assessment status, support plan and service information.

For more information, see the My Aged Care Portal User Guide.

My Aged Care service finder and find a provider tool

The My Aged Care website includes a service finder where you are able to search for certain services and a Find a Provider tool to find providers in your area.

After selecting the type of care you are looking for and entering your postcode, you can pick from a list of services including personal care, therapy services, dementia care, continence and many others. After selecting all of the services you’d like to receive, you will see a list of all the providers in your area who can deliver your chosen services.

Sometimes the list of providers can be huge! How are you meant to choose? My Aged Care don’t show any reviews or any mention of the quality of the providers in these lists, so it can be very difficult to make a choice.

CareAbout makes the task of choosing a provider much easier – we’ve done all the hard work and shortlisted for you. The providers on our panel have all been thoroughly screened, so you can be assured that they are high quality and have transparent fees. Find out more about the hidden fees you could encounter.

My Aged Care fee estimator

This tool is found on the My Aged Care website and is used to provide an estimate of the fees you might be required to pay for either a Home Care Package or if you were to move into an Aged Care Home. It is an estimate only. It takes into account your annual income plus your assets (if using the estimator for an Aged Care Home, your assets are not required for the Home Care Package fee estimation).

Click here to access the fee estimator.

If you are still confused and would like to chat to an expert on Aged Care options, call CareAbout on 1300 036 028.