Did you know that you can top up your Home Care Package? If you want additional services or more hours of care but your Home Care Package funding falls a little short, you can top it up with your own money.

To do this, you’ll need to make arrangements with your provider. Some providers might not accept top-up arrangements, so you might need to arrange additional payment and services with a third-party provider – or you can switch your provider.

If your provider will accept top-up payments, they may have to set up a separate account for your additional payments.

Paying privately for Home Care

Most people can’t afford to pay privately for all of their Home Care, but if you have a Home Care Package, adding a little extra of your own money can give you just enough additional care to keep you living safely in your own home. If you’re finding that your Home Care Package is really falling short and your needs require a lot more care and support than you’re currently receiving, you can apply for a higher-level Home Care Package.

Applying for a higher-level Package will require you to be reassessed by My Aged Care’s assessors and if approved, you’ll go back onto the waiting list.

You won’t lose your current Home Care Package but you might be stuck with it for a while, especially if you’re approved for a Level 3 or 4 Package – the wait times for these are quite long. So, while you wait and as a short-term measure, it could be a good idea to use some of your own money to top up your current Package to ensure that you’re receiving enough care and support to stay in your home.

Top up your Home Care Package with Government supplements

Another way in which you can top up your Home Care Package funds is through Government Home Care supplements or subsidies. The Government provides additional funding for a variety of conditions, so if you’re eligible, this money can go towards your Home Care.

There are subsidies available for people who have been diagnosed with dementia and other cognitive impairments, incontinence, those who require enteral feeding, those living in remote or rural areas, as well as those who have served in the military.

There’s a lot of help out there, you just need to know where to look! Make sure you talk to your provider and Care Manager, they can help you to find additional funding and assist with the application process. If your provider isn’t offering the assistance you need, give CareAbout a call.